Wednesday, 17 February 2016 – If you love the delicate sweet taste of lychee and the refreshing flavours of green tea, you’re in for a treat, as OISHI Green Tea has just unveiled its latest addition to its family of products: OISHI Green Tea Lychee! Available since 1 December 2015, the newest product in OISHI Green Tea’s range of ready-to-drink green tea delivers an “out of this world” experience by combining the two ingredients together to create an exciting new beverage that delivers a delicious burst of flavours that is truly unique.
The new flavour was made available following the findings from a market research study by Nielsen, which was specially commissioned by F&N Beverages. Based on the results of the study, F&N Beverages discovered that lychee is a popular fruit with Malaysians, loved for its naturally sweet flavour, and is one of the top three flavours in the ready-to-drink juices category. The research also indicated that there are not many beverages that combine both the flavours of green tea and lychee, effectively presenting OISHI Green Tea the opportunity to develop a new product that meets the needs of the consumers who are looking for healthier alternative beverage options.
“The taste of lychee and green tea complements each other well, imparting OISHI Green Tea Lychee a pleasant yet uniquely light and refreshing flavour that is certainly out of this world. Lychee is an outstanding favourite with Malaysians, as it is a fragrant fruit loved for its naturally sweet flavour. We believe Malaysians looking for healthier alternative beverage options will be happy to know that we are now offering a beverage that combines the best of green tea and lychee in one bottle,” said Ms. Lorraine Tan, Senior Marketing Manager at F&N Services Sdn. Bhd.
Since OISHI Green Tea was launched in July 2013, the brand has experienced a phenomenal growth in its market share, driving it to become one of the leading ready-to-drink green tea brands in Malaysia. Now available in a wide variety of formats including a 300ml can, 380ml PET bottles, 250ml Tetra packs and 1.5l PET bottles, as well as in a range of flavours including Original, Genmai, Honey Lemon and Lemon Black Tea, OISHI Green Tea can be found at major supermarkets, hypermarkets, petrol station kiosks and convenience stores. This is a testament to the popularity and the success that the brand has achieved and enjoyed over the years.
“Building on our achievements of the last two years, we plan to take OISHI Green Tea in Malaysia further. This year, we are planning to strengthen our marketing efforts by bringing in new flavours to constantly keep our consumers excited about our latest products. As one of the leading beverage manufacturers in the country, F&N Beverages is always looking for innovative ways to enhance our product offerings for customers,” added Ms. Tan.
She said: “OISHI Green Tea Lychee is just the first step for us to expand our range, as the OISHI Green Tea brand continues to grow in Malaysia, part of every occasion, celebration or everyday moment. As a healthy beverage alternative, it is becoming the ideal accompaniment for any day or time, be it a meal with friends or a trip to the movies.”
OISHI Green Tea is made from 100% fresh organic green tea leaves, grown on certified organic plantations. Only three of the best and youngest green tea leaves are carefully handpicked from the tip of each branch. The leaves are then masterfully brewed to OISHI’s signature tea recipe to capture the authentic yet delicate taste of Japanese green tea. It is brewed without any preservatives, artificial flavours or colouring. Rich in natural nutrients, it delivers a truly authentic Japanese flavour and distinctive aroma.
OISHI Green Tea Lychee is manufactured in Malaysia and distributed by F&N Beverages. It is available in a variety of sizes including 250ml Tetra pack, 300ml can and 380ml bottle priced at RM1.35, RM2.00 and RM2.20 respectively.
OISHI Green Tea Lychee – Fact Sheet
- OISHI Green Tea Lychee is the latest addition to the OISHI Green Tea family, which includes flavours such as Original, Genmai, Honey Lemon and Lemon Black Tea.
- OISHI Green Tea is made from 100% fresh organic green tea leaves, grown on certified organic plantations. Only three of the best and youngest green tea leaves are carefully handpicked from the tip of each branch. The leaves are then masterfully brewed to OISHI’s signature tea recipe to capture the authentic yet delicate taste of Japanese green tea.
- OISHI Green Tea is brewed without any preservatives, artificial flavouring or colouring.
- OISHI Green Tea Lychee was introduced into the Malaysian market on 1st December 2015.
- Lychee is amongst the top three flavours in the RTD juices category, based on a market research study by Nielsen conducted by F&N. Research showed that there are not many beverages that combine both the flavours of green tea and lychee. OISHI saw the opportunity to come up with a new product that includes these two ingredients.
- The combination of both the green tea and lychee ingredients produces a pleasant yet uniquely light and refreshing flavour. Lychee also imparts a sweet scent to the tea.
- Manufactured in Malaysia and distributed by F&N Beverages, the range of OISHI Green Tea flavours can be found at major supermarkets, hypermarkets, petrol station kiosks and convenience stores. It can be purchased in a variety of sizes including 250ml Tetra pack, 300ml can and 380ml bottle priced at RM1.35, RM2.00 and RM2.20 respectively.
DID YOU KNOW?
- A heart-shaped fruit, lychee is also known as a signature of love.
- Lychee has a history going back to 2,000 BC according to records in China. There are many stories of the fruit’s cultivation, as well as use as a delicacy in the Chinese Imperial Court.
- In the 1st century, fresh lychees were in such demand at the Imperial Court that a special courier service with fast horses would bring the fresh fruit from Guangdong.
- There was also great demand for lychee in the Song Dynasty (960-1279), according to Cai Xiang, in his Li Chi Pu (Treatise on Lychees).
- It was also the favourite fruit of Emperor Li Longji (Xuanzong)’s favoured concubine Yang Yuhuan (Yang Guifei). The emperor had the fruit delivered at great expense to the capital.
- The Chinese like playing with words and symbols, often using homonyms (words that share the same pronunciation but have different meanings) to name dishes and/or their ingredients.
- This is especially common during Chinese New Year, where foods that hold a symbolic meaning are served for the reunion dinner – representing wishes for the festive season.
- The lychee specifically means close family ties, which is why lychee beverages are exceptionally popular during Chinese New Year, served to guests – both family and friends alike.
- Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body.
- OISHI means delicious in the Japanese language. It was selected for the brand because the name is easy to remember and understand. The popularity of the brand shows that its range of products live up to its name.